Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Susie of Stanton @ KCAD: Act One, Scene One

First class of 2D Design-check.
First class of Drawing II-check.
First class of Color-check.

Now I just have Western Art History this afternoon, and Art Ed. History on Thursday. 

This first week is exciting and exhausting. The adrenaline is kicking in at unfortunate times (when I should be SLEEPING!). The supplies needed for class are expensive--I'm guessing around $200-$400 [Ak, Lord, help!]. The Treehouse girls (my house mates)...are sweeties! It *may* be too early to say, but we are definitely getting along. We have meaningful similarities, yet enough differences to make life exciting. This is good, especially since I've signed a lease spanning till next June. 

Favorite small moments:
  • While riding the bus, I've found that I have a similar schedule to a GRCC student named Shemel (Sha-mel). She is boisterous and outgoing, obviously not timid in dealing with strangers. While her chatter is full of drama, I appreciate this quasi-bus-friend. I enjoy riding the bus in general--I like the small, getting-to-know-you-while-we-pass-time conversations. 

  • Dear Kristy took me out to coffee at the quaint Common Grounds around the corner from our houses to celebrate the first day of classes, and then we dropped by the Family Fare grocer. Having a close friend to do these small things with is delightful

  • When I got back home from classes yesterday afternoon, there was a pink notice posted by our door, "Public Nuisance-grass longer than 12 in; rectify situation by this date or be fined". I just moved in, and I'm already a public nuisance! ha. Heidi (the housemate whose moving), borrowed a push mower (a REAL one, without an engine), and between her, Katie, and I, we spent hours dominating that yard...(we're not quite finished--those suckers take a lot of work to operate!) While one mowed, the other two chatted about life, and we took turns ^_^ Good exercise, good conversations, and eight blisters on my hands. 

  • THEN, we sat around with our other housemates, Tacho and Mary Grace, eating salsa, dips, chips, and friends came to visit--Jonathan, Jake, Jim. (Do the Treehouse girls only associate with guys that names start with 'J'?) ;) It was good housemate/friend bonding time. 


With these new and old fulfilling friendships, I can tell "Home" will definitely be a refreshing place away from classes.

I'm not going to lie--I "know" God provides, he works all things together for the good who love him and are called according to his purpose, I can trust Him, etc---but I'm still overwhelmed. It will truly take a miracle to pay for tuition, pay rent, buy food, pay bills. I see no possible way, but I'm LEAPING, rocketing, this direction in faith. I've always paid my bills on time (usually well before), and my stomach turns at the thought of not having enough on the due date, of having to pay late fees.

So pray: that people will hire my art skills for portraits, that I will find a part-time job somewhere close, that I would remain trusting and joyful in the Lord in the midst of stress (and unfortunate lack of sleep), for SLEEP...yes. Sleep....zzzz

Ah! I can't sleep right now! I have my first day of Western Art History to get to :) 

More prayer: for wisdom and good stewardship. 

May you be encouraged to radically trust God in pursuing your own dreams, and may you (and I!) joyfully submit and be aware to the little details of life--the challenges, duties, details, and pleasures. Peace be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment